Our Book Cover

Vogue Spring Summer 2008

Vogue Spring Summer 2008
Mesh Tank #30

Monday, June 9, 2008

Late Night Finishing

YES, I do love to do the finish work on a project, but I have learned the hard way that late at night is not the best time to try to finish up OR do the actual finish work on any thing. Many a time I have not taken my own advice and have paid the price. Now some of you may not have had the same experiences that I have had but I certainly have had more of my share.
Let me tell you about the night I stayed up til 2 am to finish a poncho during the poncho craze.
Beautiful, slippery Fiesta Rayon Boucle worked in the round, on large needles. I was just finishing up the neckline - so anxious to wear this beauty. The last bind off stitch was off the needle when I noticed an unwanted loop a few stitches back, so carefully (I thought) I undid a few stitches, then I do not know how this happened but a stitch just dropped off the needle, then a neighboring stitch decided to follow. The more I tried to catch up with these guys the more things started going crazy, before you knew it this slinky poncho that took hours to knit became a ball of yarn of yarn in minutes maybe even seconds.
That lesson stayed with me for a long time-years even, however last night I guess I forgot, because a similar thing started to happen. It was late at night, the yarn wasn't as slippery but there were a lot of stitches on the needle of this openwork shawl and Voila!! a stitch jumped off the needle and it's friend started to follow suit, to make matters worse there was a lot of yarn over patterning going on here. The more I tried the worse it got. But you know what I remembered my previous disaster and set it down in the middle of the row and told myself I could get to it in the morning.
I had a fresh start in the morning, a lot of patience and in a little bit of time I was able to correct the errors and now I can resume working on the piece.
I should have put it down right away, before helping it to become worse than it already was, but at least I did put it down. So I am off to work some more and hope that my addiction to knitting will allow me to think straight if things start going awry tonight.
Knitting Dreams and Occasional Knitmares.

No comments: